babble.jennasdad

– memories of a man getting older –

Yulan NY, Times Square

July 12th, 2010 · 47 Comments

OK, here is a bit of a pictorial history of the town of Yulan, commonly called Times Square.

Times Square 1923

1923

This image is from a postcard dated 1923. It’s a bit difficult to understand how the building relates to later images as it is the only image I’ve seen that shows a porch. You can clearly see the sign to Barryville and Shohola. The car would be heading down Airport Road towards Washington Lake.

Times Square 1939

This is a view from pretty much the same direction as the 1923 image. The post office has changed dramatically, resembling it current state. The car in the foreground is heading towards Barryville while the background cars are on Airport Road. Note this image shows the large tree in front of the post office. That’s Bradley’s Bar on the left, a place I never set foot in and can’t really say what it was during my times at the lake.

1949

Note the Esson (now Exxon) sign by the tree. Also, you can make out the characters that spell out Times Square on the roof of the building to the left of the post office. An interesting detail: On the tree next to the Esso sign, coming off the left of the tree above the car, is a small sign that says “BUS.” Times Square was a bus stop and when the area was in its hay day there were any number of buses from New York City that stopped here. The note on the back of this postcard reads: “Dear Friends, Come and see us & have a look at Yulan.” Indeed!

Early 1960

The car in this image is a 1963 Chevy, so this image is 1963 or newer. I think the Esso sign is hidden by the Fountain/Lunch sign, but the bus sign is gone.

1960s

My guess is that this shot is from the mid-late 60s. The car looks like a GM product and that blue was popular in 1965. Big change – phone booth in front of post office! Also, notice how the mail box in front of post office has changed compared to shot above this one. The building to the left of Times Square was an auto repair shop during my times in the area.

2007

I went back to Washington Lake in 2007 and this shot is from that journey. The tree and assorted signage (Esso, Luncheonette, etc) were gone! Other changes are obvious but the same building still stands.

I like to stare at these images and think of all the history. For myself, it’s all the joy and laughter of children as we played in Times Square. And the memory of the drive up from New Jersey when we would arrive at this intersection.

I find it is one of the more curious and bittersweet things in life. How things and places can mean so much to some and yet, to later generations there is no acknowledgement or awareness of any significance. But, perhaps the fact this intersection still exists – this building still stands – is in itself a tribute. A tribute to the flow of time and those of us who were carried upon it through Yulan, NY.

Tags: Washington Lake

47 responses so far ↓

• 1 Celia // Dec 13, 2010 at 8:50 am

This is really awesome to see. I am currently a resident of Yulan away at college and am doing a paper for a class about how Yulan has changed throughout the years. It was really great reading about your perspective and seeing these images!

• 2 Dennis J. Carroll // Aug 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Memories Of Days Past: Greetings From Yulan, NY By Dennis J. Carroll

A couple of summers ago, I went to the Von Steuben Day celebration at Firemen’s Field in Yulan, New York. Amid the food stands they were selling t-shirts with a map of the area and a log which read: “Where the Hell is Yulan?”.

Generally, Yulan is located for others, in terms of its distance from Port Jervis, Narrowsburg or the Ten Mile River Scout Camps, but for those of us who have spent any time there, Yulan as a place and memory it is self-explanatory.

The Summer of 1962 was the last I spent in Yulan with uncle Fred, the Postmaster and Marion his wife. “Four Corners,” was the center of town was and where guests from the boarding houses would buy postcards – scenes from the lakes, Beaver Brook, The Hawk’s Nest, the Washington Lake Casino and Yulan itself – and mail them at the Post Office and small convenience store owned by my aunt and uncle. The Post Office closed at five o’clock – no exceptions – but the store was open all day and evenings. My uncle would take down the flag and bring out the old wooden chair and Remington shell crate and sit with my aunt and talk to the people as they strolled by. Inside the store, I was allowed to wait on customers. On tiptoe, punching the large round white and red keys of the ancient, brown cash register and turning the crank handle, I would try to avoid getting hit by the drawer, on the chin. Cigarettes sold for twenty-seven cents a pack and Hostess cupcakes were a dime in those days.

Some would weigh themselves on the green and black penny scale. Denying the effect of three full meals a day some would cry, “This can’t be right!” and jiggle it; my uncle would yell, “Hey, don’t break the scale.” The offenders, smiling at this crabby old guy, would look at the World War Two posters: a grimacing GI, a map of Japan in the background and the word next emblazoned above him, a dead soldier on a battlefield, “Because someone talked.” Leaving, they’d glance at what was playing in Barryville and Narrowsburg: “Picnic,” “Gunfight at the O.K. Corral,” “The Guns of Navarone,” and “High Noon.”

I listened to the music from the juke box – ”Fever,” “Ghost Riders in the Sky,” “Cry,” “Love Me Tender,” “Poor Little Fool,” “Bernadine,” “Little Star,” “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes,” and “Walk Don’t Run” – and the clanging of the pinball machines next door. Times Square, an ice-cream parlor, sold postcards and souvenirs, little birch bark canoes printed with Greetings from Yulan, New York.

Usually, my friends from Bungalow Hill would arrive, and we would plan tomorrow’s fishing, swimming, playing ball or just exploring the woods, our own unique versions of “Stand By Me.” I remember countless early mornings rowing to the other side of Bodine Lake where a felled tree with two huge branches remained for years. Beyond it, when the early fog evaporated the swampy marsh and old tree trunks come into view making up more of the shore.

After picking up the oars inside the boat, the gauze like silence of the lake increased as the boat slowed. Muffled road noises drifted across the smooth waters. Occasionally a bass would break the surface or a snapping turtle scuttled along the muddy lake bed among the white water lily stalks and the rusty wheels of an ice wagon which remained on the bottom from when it had sunk one winter during the forties.

Sometimes we would walk to Eldred, past the old cemetery to an old abandoned house. Exploring it was spooky and exciting. The silence of the house was palpable, immune from our echoing footsteps and voices. Older kids used the house at night for drinking and what counted for sex in the pre-Woodstock era.

In Yulan other, high school and college kids, summer dishwashers and waitresses, would drive down and relax from their twelve-hour, seven-day a week jobs. One of the guys once asked me to get him a package of condoms from the store. Naively, I told him to ask my uncle. “Are you kidding? I did and he threw me out.”

Sundays we would go to Mass at Saint Anthony of Padua Church at the top of a hill on Beaver Brook Road; week days the same place was especially silent looking down towards Beaver Brook where the Township of Highland ended and Tusten began.

On another trip back, I returned to Yulan for the day with my wife and our Golden Retriever. The silence was still pervasive, except for an occasional car approaching the small hill by the firehouse, heard from a quarter mile away, then fading off; the mountains and tall pines absorbing the sounds completely. Yet, Yulan had changed. The Post Office was still there but Times Square was no longer open; the “T” and “Q” missing from the large neon sign, the building now used for storage. The gas station was open across from a convenience store.

The house, sold years ago and now painted a bright yellow, was a business that sold lawn furniture. It all seemed somehow smaller, shabby, distant as I stood at the foot of what I remembered as a huge brick stoop that led up to the front door and into the living room. The proprietor, an old woman, knew nothing of my connections to Yulan and the old house. My memories were politely acknowledged, a tradeoff undoubtedly, for the birdhouse my wife bought me. It was well made, but indistinguishable, no Greetings from Yulan, New York to be seen or felt anywhere.

Dennis J. Carroll is a freelance writer and the author of Cops and Priests. His reviews have appeared in the Sunday New York Times Book Review and he is working on a novel set in the Catskills.

——————————————————————————–

• 3 admin // Aug 6, 2011 at 7:47 am

Dennis, thank you so much for your post. Just beautiful and wonderful to read. Al

• 4 Art timmerhoff // Jan 16, 2012 at 10:59 am

The four corners in Yulan was a big part of my life. In 1964 I was 14 years old. Durning the summer all my city friends were up moved into their cabins.
    We owned the four corners. You would see us in the late afternoon hanging together. Durning the day we would be up at the lake skiing behind Mr Franks boat, all day long. I spent a lot of time at the Frank house, mostly tagging along with Johnny. Mister Frank was a worker. He would take on these monster efforts, like taking down a old house on the property and save all the nails. Boots his wife would suddenly appear and say John time to go to the lake. Stopped, dropped what he had in his hands and want to the lake.
    I have many good memories of the gang getting together and go drinking. A couple of us could drive. Got beer from somewhere and went to different places to mingle and in some cases make out. All the girls in the gang were babes. Back then my first kiss was fresh on my lips. Makes a young man kind of wonder what is next.
    I didn’t drive but remember well the long walks home in the dark . Didn’t seem to bother me much. Some nights were so dark I had a hard time staying on the road. What was really interesting were the night sounds. Tree frogs, whippoorwills and crickets. I can still hear them sometimes when it is real still.
    I can date the opening of the beer cans, you would need a church key.
    The constables would play where are they drinking tonight. We were caught once in a wile.
    It is too bad about childhood friends, you grow up and move away. I was around until 68. Joined the navy and was gone for four years. Came back married my brothers wife’s sister and moved to Montana.
    Lot’s of fun times back in Yulan in 64, 65 and 66. When you think about it kids today aren’t making any memories. Technology has stolen their bonding and growing up. They don’t know how to play.

• 5 Joe stein // Dec 15, 2012 at 7:43 am

A few months ago my mother, marge Grady stein, was in the hospital preparing for heart surgery. At 85, there was no certainty how she would handle the ordeal. Just prior to going into surgey the surgeon came in to say that all would be well but asked my mother to simply think of “happy place “. At the time I did not think of it but during her recovery I asked her what she was thinking about. She did not hesitate and said yulan casino because that is where she met my father in 1950, who passed away almost 2 years ago. I am sitting with her now and goggled the casino. She was extremely moved by these pictures so thank you. She said she use to spend the summers there from 1932 to 1942. She stayed with her grandmother and uncle in a bungalow on bungalow hill that did not have running water and had to use an outhouse. Many great memories thank you and merry Christmas. If anyone remembers marge Grady or Andy feeley please feel free to contact me and I will pass it along.

• 6 Helen Kallos // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:49 pm

My introduction to Yulan came when I was around 12 years old. That was in 1953. A friend of my Dad’s told us we could use his bungalow on Washington Lake for a couple of weeks. We were so excited, never having had a family vacation before.

The trip up from Yonkers took around 4 hours (that was before the NY Thruway was built). If I remember correctly, we crossed the G. Washington Bridge and took Route 17. I don’t remember much about the trip until we passed through Port Jervis and approached the amazing Hawk’s Nest.

Passing through Times Square was another treat. I’ll never forget my first impression of the 4 Corners! Driving up Airport Road we turned off on a little road just before Cantwell’s. The bungalow had no electricity, no running water and, of course, no bathroom but it was the best 2 weeks I had ever had.

It turned out that the man who owned the bungalow was related somehow to “Uncle” Fred Metzger. The following year we rented an “apartment” over the shed on Uncle Fred’s property. Here we were upgraded to running water (cold only). We rented there for a couple of summers until Mom and Dad purchased a small bungalow from Uncle Fred. The summers following were the best memories I have. And, like Joe Stein, when I am feeling down, I go to my “happy place” – Yulan.

Uncle Fred, by the way, was the most wonderful man – a real character – but a very gentle and old sole. My whole family loved him and his family, Boots and Johnny.

On occasion, my husband and I drive up to Yulan for the day. I still get that same excited feeling as we drive through the Hawk’s Nest. I am so lucky to have so many wonderful memories! of this little paradise called “Yulan”!

• 7 admin // Jan 29, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Helen, thank you for sharing. Reading of the experiences of others just seems to enrich the memories.

• 8 Ronald Jones // Sep 4, 2013 at 5:02 am

1937 I was one year old my family and I stayed at Tethers later Gregory’s, Washington beach Hotel. We returned every year until 1959. We would walk to the Four Corners many times each year and watched it grow. The photo’s bring back many reminders of a wonderful place.
    Ron Jones

• 9 Scotty // Dec 22, 2013 at 9:07 am

I first began coming to Yulan in 1947 when my family spent the month of August in a boarding house named Woodland Cottages on the Mail Rd. It was at that time I had my first experience going to 4 Corners, aka Yulan. Some of the kids asked if I wanted to walk with them to 4 Corners. I said yes and several of us headed out for the walk. It was such a long walk for a soon to be 7 year old and I had no idea what to expect. We went to Times Square (which I thought was NYC). I had no money so I couldn’t buy anything, but that was all right as my friends shared their candy. When I got back the the boarding house I told my father I had walked about 100 miles that afternoon as I commenced to tell him about 4 Corners and Times Square. Being new to this area he asked if I would show him where we went but this time I got to go in our car. The 100 mile walk took maybe three minutes as it actually was exactly 1 .1 miles each way. Boy was I disappointed, but Dad had a good laugh. That was the beginning of many more walks to 4 Corners. We spent every summer there until 1956 (with the exception of 1949 when I went to Scotland for the summer). In the summer of 1954 I had my first job for the summer at that boarding house. The pay was $100 for July 1st to the day after Labor Day. Like the rest of the help we worked 7 days a week without a day off. I was the bell hop, kitchen boy, dining room table setter, swimming pool scrubber, lawn boy, errand boy, newspaper boy and anything else that I would be called on to do. It was great! Actually, it was so good that I did it the following summer. When I sold newspapers, I would ride a bicycle to Yulan to Vonderhursts store for the papers early in the morning. It was an easy run going there but going back up Yulan hill was a strain with a single speed bike. I did get twice what I paid for the newspapers so I thought it was worth the effort. Years later I started driving people to the different boarding houses in Yulan and the surrounding area from NYC. Many of the guests did not drive nor did they want to take the Shortline bus. I became a NYS Contract carrier with the help of the boarding house owners who petitioned the NYDOT for me. Now I live in Yulan and like many I am a NYC transplant who started coming to the Yulan area as a vacationer with their families.

• 10 Linda LoMonaco // Jan 4, 2014 at 8:05 am

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s comments about Yulan and Four Corners. My Grandmother Emily was a Metzger, and her family was from Yulan. I would like to hear from anyone who has info on the Metzger family that lived there. I have an electronic copy of a post card entitled “At the Post Office” and I am told the Postmaster dressed in black is John C. Metzger Sr., who would be my great great grandfather. I would love to get an original copy of that post card as well as one entitled “Postmaster and His Chickens”. And I would like to confirm that the man in the chicken post card is John C. Metzger Sr., and not his son John C. Metzger, Jr. My grandma’s uncle, Fred G. Metzger was also Yulan’s postmaster, and when she moved to Lava, Emily Metzger Ropke became a post mistress in that town. Thanks for sharing your memories of Yulan and Four Corners. The photos help me picture what it must have been like years ago.

• 11 Cazare Moeciu Piscina // Jun 19, 2014 at 11:17 am

Pensiuni Apuseni

Wow, this post is good, my sister is analyzing these kinds of things, therefore I am going to tell her.

• 12 admin // Jun 19, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Thank you Ronald, Scotty, Linda and Cazare for your thoughts and memories – brings things to life.

• 13 Laurie // Jan 11, 2015 at 3:45 am

My great grandmother Catherine Owens owned a boarding house in Yukan back in the 30’s. We spent many s summer at the Washington Lake Hotel. I think it was owned at the time by a family named Bozzo. Then we bought a cottage on the lake and I remember walking through a trail in the woods to get to the swim club. It was a beautiful area.

• 14 Beth Gray // Feb 9, 2015 at 8:31 am

I can’t begin to tell you how it fills my heart to read all the wonderful memories that others have of little Yulan. My family enjoyed many lazy summers there through the 60s and 70s. My Aunt and Uncle Herb and Edna Tierney owned the I believe it was called The Park View Bar and my Aunt Ethel Cantwell own the big hotel on Washington Lake. I would love to hear from anyone that has any info about the years the Cantwells owned the hotel. I returned to Yulan in the 80s and my heart skipped a beat to pull into the Four corners but was so sad to see that the Casino was no longer there….so many great nights of music. We were all so lucky to have a life time of memories from a simpler time.

• 15 KAT MCCARTHY // Jun 29, 2015 at 5:06 am

looking for Rod Cody…met you at campground early 70’s

• 16 Helen Oset // Aug 19, 2015 at 9:36 pm

I went to the old schoolhouse across from Bradley’s first through six grade. The car in the top photo is not heading towards Airport Road, but towards Narrowsburg on Beaverbrook Rd. The porch was torn down and that was the side facing Airport Rd. The chimney was removed and that side became the main entrance. The building was moved back in order to get a liquor license because it was sitting too close to the school!

• 17 admin // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Thank you Helen!

• 18 Deirdre O'Connell // Jan 29, 2016 at 4:05 am

Hi everyone. I am hoping someone can help me. I used to live in Yulan NY with my Mother, Marie (Ranne/Hoff/Lenza). We lived just near the church and then later in a house on the corner of Park Rd. My Mom Marie worked in the Bar (Park Tavern) when it was owned by the Tierney’s.

I am looking for ANYONE who remembers my Mom (since passed) and may have any pictures, stories, info, etc. I am really desperate for any info and if you knew her or of her it would help to bring me some peace of mind.

Thank you in advance.

• 19 Nick E // Mar 26, 2016 at 12:37 am

Went to Yulan from 1950 to the middle 60’s Stayed at the Highland Hotel “Umbreit’s” Went ot Cantwells, Yulan Hotel, Pete Boza”s place and and alittle bar in Barryville called Spaghetti Joe’s (Joe Consiglio’s) I remember Rhoman’s and the neacj bar at Cantwells yes i remember Ethel Cantwell and her granddaughter Suzie. I went out with her when I was in college. I remember Eldred and the ldred Inn. It use to be run by Maude and Al Hoss. The Eldred gas station was owned by Willy Broadmerkel and scotty Greenberg used to work there.

Yes I remember all of it and when we went back a few years ago it was just about all gone. Remenareer Vanderhurst’s store next to Times Square Hensel’s

• 20 Paul Gtekunst // Jun 3, 2016 at 12:51 am

Hi Helen. It’s been along time since we had any contact. It is great to see your comment about the four corners. I sometimes miss Yulan , but my life has taken my wife Grace and I to sunny Florida. Please say hi to all the kid especially Mike.

• 21 Donna // Aug 5, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I went to Hensel’s boarding house as a child. I am sure it is no longer there but I will be up in Yulan this weekend and would love to visit the area. Can anyone give me information as to where the house was? I would love to visit. Thank you for any help and have a great day ~ Donna

• 22 Phil Feldman // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:23 am

I worked at Ten Mile River Scout Camps for several years in the early ’70’s. I worked in the business office with Marie Hensel and would also drive up to Yulan in the winter to stop in and visit Marie and her husband. Wonderful people. During the summers on days off my friends and I would hitchhike from camp to Yulan to do our laundry at the laundromat and have a Hires root beer in a frozen mug and a burger at a little spot in town whose name I forgot. My folks would stay at one of two motels in town when they came to visit me. One was on the road from the camp into Yulan and the other on the road to Barryville. That one was named Sokol’s, the other I forgot. My friends and I would also go to Washington Lake Casino to dance and meet girls. Great times. The pictures bring back great memories.

• 23 Bob Haggerty // Oct 28, 2016 at 9:24 am

I was just about 2 when my mother, father and brother went to The Colonial in Yulan. We spent every summer there until the late 40’s. Was there when the war ended and I still remember when my cousins came up for the hugh celebration in their uniform’s. My last visit was many years later with my wife and 2 children. The Colonial was still standing but closed so we stayed at Maplecrest. We found out that Lizette was still living near the gas station in town. We visited her and she remembered my folks and my brother and I. Helen Holden (my cousin) married a man whose family owned the gas station in town. They both passed away but their two daughters live in Butler PA.
    My memories of Yulan are still clear in my mind (I am now
    80) and they were all wonderful. If anyone wants to hear about Yulan in the late 30’s-40’s and mid 50’s give me a holler at 516-796-8708 and I would love to pass on info on a great place. P.S. I was about 12 and I hit the nickel jackpot from the 2nd floor at THE COLONIAL.

• 24 Scotty Greenberger // Dec 5, 2016 at 1:16 am

As always, all of the stories about Yulan are so filled with great memories. I live in Yulan with so many of MY great memories. It is a largely a second home community now as at least half of the homes are from summer, weekend or holiday residences. As I first came to the area in 1947, I have witnessed many changes. These changes one might say are for the better but, when you factor in the memories they are not. There WAS the Washington Lake Casino, the Skating Rink, Times Square, 2 gas stations, the little school house, the bus and car service to and from NYC, boat rentals on Washington Lake, the Yulan Braves baseball team, the famed restaurant Wolf”s HIllside Inn, and all the hotels/boarding houses that catered to thousands of guests. There were 17 of these summer retreats within a mile of the blinking light in Yulan. Each of the Summer places catered to a somewhat ethnic group. Some hotels were predominately German, or Irish or Jewish while others were a good healthy mix. As result of the hotel businesses any teenager could have a job for the summer. I was one of them having my first job at 14 at Woodland Cottages where a worked for 2 summers. After that job I landed my dream job (at that time) at Brodmerkel’s Garage in Eldred for 5 summers and holidays while I went to college. That job had lots of perks. To begin with I had a car that always needed work and I was able to get all parts and labor for free. Willy the owner really liked the car as it was very unusual so he always made sure it was working well. Also, I was always able to get free gas. Another perk was that I could go the Riviera movie theater for free every night as there was a small bill board on the garage that advertised for the movie for which a free pass was given. One important note regarding this job. When I fist started working there I asked Willy if I could work there because I wanted to learn auto mechanics. He said I could start the next day and I could have any hours I wanted. So, the next day I showed up an he told me I would help him and to clean up, pump gas, fix flats and he gave me great instruction an certainly a great education. At the end of the first week I asked when do I get paid as we had not discussed pay until this time. His answer was who said anything about pay-you said you wanted to wirk hre and I said OK. Then he said will I see you tomorrow? I said yes and we continued that arrangement for the next few summers. The experience that I received at Willie Brodmerkels’s garage was priceless. I did make a lot of tips, had free lunch everyday and a cold Bud at 4:30. I literally had no expenses as he covered them all. What did I need a salary for? After the garage job I took over the car service to and from NYC. I did that for many years servicing the hotels. It was truly a great and profitable job. Now I am living in Yulan and still enjoying being with and meeting people from my memorable past. I am still driving the same car and it is like a time machine. Yulan is a beautiful place to live if you like country living. If anyone remembers me and wants to reminisce you can email me at dg818@yahoo.com.

• 25 Linda Crotta // Aug 7, 2017 at 12:47 am

I use to visit my Uncle George Ferri & his wife Virginia back in the 1960s, early 70s in Yulan. He had a home up on a hill and a detached garage with a guest loft on top. He was good friends with a man named Paul Bodine. I use to hangout with his daughter Stephanie Bodine in the summer when I was out of school. Would like to find Stephanie in order to catch up now that I’m retired.

• 26 Cheryl Nagel - Smiley // Oct 22, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Thank you for the memories. We had a hunting lodge in Eldred from 1951 to 1996. We spent our summers swimming at Cantwells on Washington Lake and dancing at the roller rink.

• 27 Lisa Kretschmar // Oct 23, 2017 at 12:17 am

I lived in Schumacher pond road in 72-76? My father burnt my house down.. we ended up living with my grandmother for a few years in Byram NJ, then I believe back to Yulan, we had the house across from the restaurant at the four corners and a small bungalow in between there also. We hung out with the mark heckler, Paula heckler, the Frazier’s, the Ferrone s when they came up from NJ on weekends. So much fun and memories.. the best cream soda at the rivers square. Thanks for sharing

• 28 Donna Frazier // Oct 23, 2017 at 2:11 am

Oh such wonderful memories I grew up in Yulan worked at Times Square worked at the Blue Ribbon… so many familiar names on these posts Bungalow Hill was one of my hangouts with my summer frieds. My mom still lives across from the ball field and we still go there for holidays and continue with the traditions and memories. My sister and brother-in-law live right up the road across from Bodine Lake and my brother Michael lives right next to the corners still today.
    Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures and posts keep them coming everybody.

• 29 Donna Frazier // Oct 23, 2017 at 2:14 am

And her Herb and Edna Tierney were great friends of my parents I believe one of them is even one of my siblings godparent they were great people.

• 30 EddieC // Oct 28, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Our family would visit Cantwells in the early to mid 60’s. I was only a few years old but remember how good the breakfasts tasted and going out on the lake in a motorboat. We’d also cross the river and go to Rohmans where the adults would drink Screwdrivers. We live nearby now and go to Konrads at the Crossroads for great German food. Does anyone know if anything remains of the Cantwell lodge? There is a large residence on the west shore that appears to be the sole building left.

• 31 Ralph // Jan 18, 2018 at 9:32 pm

I went/worked at TMR Boy Scout Camp Kunatah for a bunch of years late 70s-80s, and we always loved going to Yulan. We still visit today. Great memories of Washington Lake Casino. Nowadays we eat at Conrads, Back to Bakers and enjoy breakfast at the store.

• 32 William A LaBarr // Nov 20, 2018 at 10:43 pm

I read with interest about Times Square in Yulan. I grew up in Beaver Brook and spent a lot of time having ice dream sodas in the summer at Times Square. Times Square and the gas station were owned by Lou and Helen Hensel. Later on Lou and Helen’s son in law Don took over the gas station. Fred Hensel ran the post office attached to times square. The Hensels moved to Florida, where I of course live now, Boynton Beach, Florida. The Hensel family was a very important part of the history of Yulan and I did not see much mention of that name in any of the previous messages. I can be reached at w_labarr1956@live.com. I might be able to fill in any information one might need. I am myself wondering what has happened to all of the great boarding houses on Washington Lake.

• 33 Tom Kelly // Mar 28, 2019 at 3:07 am

Hi I used to go to the Colonial back in the early 60’s. My Farther , Bill Kelly had been going up there from the mid 1930’s I can remember Mrs Hensel ( I think that was Helen’s mother) working in the kitchen. I also remember when Dickie brought the building and opened a restaurant. I believe the building was knocked down several years ago

• 34 Jim Roland // Mar 28, 2019 at 7:41 pm

I worked at Cantwells 1970-71 Summers. Best experience of my life. I became friends with the Fore (maybe Foor) family….Nancy and Bobby. Does anyone know how they are doing?
    Some other names I remember….Henry (bartender at Cantwells), Billy, Bootsy, the Purcell family.
    I would love to go back and swim in Washington Lake again.

• 35 Nick E // May 21, 2019 at 12:58 am

We started going to Yulan and staying at the Highland Hotel in the early 1950’s. Then it was such a big deal to take trip that long that my parents and their cousins used to have meetings and plan the route. As I became a teenager we continued to go and the older we became the more fun we had drinking beer and chasing girls. I went back on Saturday May 18. It was totally different and quite sad. Every boarding house on the main road up from 4 corners was gone and some homes replaced them I believe Kase’s Lakeview Farm is now a resort, and the buildings that were once the Sunset and Laurel Cottages are still there. Amazingly there was renovation work being done on either the Colonial or The Maplecrest, Could not tell which. Vonderhurst’s store at the 4 corners is now a small coffee shop and Times Square is closed. Rhoman’s is still open and as great a bargain as ever. The pullout bar stools are still there and a pint of beer is $3.00 Glad I went back but it was so different I could not help feeling a bit depressed.
    Scotty if you read this please email me.I would love to make contact with you. As you many know Johnny Heckler passed away in 1996. We live on Long Island so at least once a year we visit his grave at Calverton National Cemetery.

• 36 Nicholas Episcopia // May 21, 2019 at 1:11 am

We started going to Yulan and staying at the Highland Hotel in1 1952. Then it was such a big deal to take trip that long that my parents and their cousins used to have meetings and plan the route. As I became a teenager we continued to go and the older we became the more fun we had drinking beer and chasing girls. I went back on Saturday May 18. It was totally different and quite sad. Every boarding house on the main road up from 4 corners was gone and some homes replaced them I believe Kase’s Lakeview Farm is now a resort, and the buildings that were once the Sunset and Laurel Cottages are still there. Amazingly there was renovation work being done on either the Colonial or The Maplecrest, Could not tell which. Vonderhurst’s store at the 4 corners is now a small coffee shop and Times Square is closed. Rhoman’s is still open and as great a bargain as ever. The pullout bar stools are still there and a pint of beer is $3.00 Glad I went back but it was so different I could not help feeling a bit depressed.

• 37 Michael Nelson // Mar 25, 2020 at 7:16 am

Spent several summers in Yulan with firemen families from Brooklyn and several summers with Boyscouts at Ten Mile River. Anyone know what happened to Lisa Kretchmar?

• 38 Jim Purcell // Apr 3, 2020 at 7:42 am

Wow! I was reminiscing this evening with some friends about my youth in the Catskills and went searching for some pictures of Cantwell’s. Came upon this site. Holy Cow!

So, I’m one of the grandkids of Ethel and worked at the West Shore Lodge every summer, it seems, from the time I was 11 until she sold the place in 1977. From making toast at breakfast to washing silverware and dishes, waiting tables, and tending bar, we did it all. Jim Roland – I remember you when you worked there. I was only 13 or 14 at the time, but was probably washing dishes in the kitchen.

Nick E – so you dated my sister? Was just texting her a few minutes ago. Guess I’ll ask if she remembers.

Lisa Kretschmar – remember me? I had a huge crush on Arlene and we used to hang out together back in 74-75.

Michael Nelson – don’t know if you noticed, but Lisa posted back in October 2017.

Thanks for this blog, Dennis (is it Dennis?). Brought back so many memories.

• 39 Jerry Zuckerman // Aug 11, 2020 at 3:09 am

During the summer of 1962 I worked as a counselor at Camp Wel Met… the Narrowsburg campus. My girlfriend worked at a different camp. We have now been married for 56 years. She actually kept my letters and recently I have been reading them. One refers to the Blue Ribbon Restaurant in Yulan. I thought it was great because the food was “delicious” and the prices were “reasonable.” I wrote that I wanted to take her there someday. In another letter I enclosed a postcard of Times Square in Yulan. It is pictured above with a note that it was probably from the late sixties. But I bought it in 1962. I was googling that postcard when I came across this fabulous site.

• 40 Betty Ann and Chris Doyle // Dec 2, 2020 at 5:21 am

My Mom starting visiting Yulan in the 1930’s, her father Joe Mulvihill started visiting before WWI. They stayed a few places but mostly at Kase’s Lakeview Farm. I stayed there and when the Lutejes owned it. I also stayed at the Maplecrest. We now stay at Lukan’s in Hawley Pa. Great memories of great summers.

• 41 Scott Carpenter // Dec 24, 2020 at 7:54 am

It truly brings me back reading the memories. The more you ponder those days you realize how clear it still remains even to this day. Its a testament to how good it really was. Back in the late 50’s when I was 6 years old until I was about 11 by mom would take me to the Maplecrest on Washington Lake for two weeks. A boarding house/hotel owned by the Walters. It was a long trip from Queens NY by bus from the Port Authority to Yulan but worth every mile. On one or two occasions we were able to hitch a ride with our close friends the Hermans or the McCloskys, but they stopped going once they discovered Florida. Always the last two weeks in July because they were “the best”. We had one room where I shared a double bed with my mom. Every day the entire house ate three meals family style and I can say to this day that I can still smell the pork gravy and taste the custard cream pie. During these two weeks the sky seemed to be the limit. Every morning we’d walk as a group to ‘four corners’ and buy an 8 cent comic book and some BB’s for my gun or sling shot along with a nickel Hersey’s (no tax). During the day we would swim, catch frogs and fish, fish fish. At the end of the first week it got a little quieter as a few of the old boys went off to spend a week or two a Ten Mile River scout camp. Every year I saved up to rent one of those heavy wooden yellow boats with the Maroon trim from the boat rental down by the “casino”. If I recall correctly it was a dollar a day. The casino, not really a casino, served food and as a treat we went there one night during the week. Speaking of casinos the adult men did manage to find time for an evening trip(s) to Monticello to lose money. As kids in those days would and could we played with fire, jumped off the deep end of the dock, shot BB guns and sling shot and played with fire crackers and no one “shot their eye out”. 10 0r 12 years later when I was in college and working at Shea Stadium as a vendor I some how spotted a familiar face in the sold out crowd. It was Reggie Walter. I just had to stop selling and say a few words to him. Mr Walter I said, the days I spent at the Maplecrest were some of the best of my life. And though he didn’t recognize me he said “mine too”.

• 42 Patti // Jan 20, 2021 at 3:07 am

Does anyone remember Jeff Greene or the Greene family from the late 70’s that would stay at the Rustic Lodge which is next to St. Anthony’s Church in Yulan? I believe they were from Brooklyn. They may have been related to the Sherwood family who I believe owned the Inn and restaurant back then. Thank you.

• 43 David titor // Apr 26, 2021 at 7:46 am

my grandparents owned and now my family owns a house up on the hill i grew up in yulan i love that place

• 44 Christie // May 7, 2021 at 12:39 pm

My son and daughter- in- law bought a yellow school house. It used to be at intersection of Times Square but gas been moved down on Barryville Rd. They have a postcard with a note to a lady in Brooklyn Wondered if anyone could help with information on the school house snd anymore pictures.
    Email is christietomes@gmail.coming

• 45 Christie Tomes // May 18, 2021 at 11:05 pm

Whoops. This is my email. If anyone has more pics
    Or I donor the school house please hit me up.
    All this information and memories are priceless. If
    any do you have some pictures or think some family members might have some buried photos to share that would be great. Evidentially the school house used to be white with green trim. Again thanks to you all for sharing g this.

• 46 Marie Tierney’s daughter // Jun 22, 2021 at 11:19 am

Would love to hear from anyone who remembers the Tierney family, the Lenza family or the Ranne fam.

Good times here with Jay Barnes and that crew. 1976 at the ball field. So many good memories…lived across from the Martin’s and played with Eddie and Ann. My Mom worked at the bar and was married to Herb for a bit.

Seems like yesterday…

• 47 ROBERT WITKJIN // Sep 3, 2021 at 2:56 am

I spent many summers at GRAND VUE INN. first as a guest with my brother and parents and then i worked there for 10 summers. it was a great place and lots of fun, playing ball at fireman’s field. fishing, horseback riding in Eldred, going out at night to Johnny’s for pizza,- i drove up to see the place last year and i am sorry that i did. it is not the same and it was run down. It remains like the Brooklyn Dodgers and Coney Island, just a wonderful memory